01 / Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
02 / Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so—for example, to provide our services, to communicate with you, or to make our services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources. We will clarify each of these below.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information that you, as a user of the Website, provide to us. Examples of the type of information we collect:
- Basic Account Information: We ask our account holders to provide us with a username and email address. You may optionally provide us with more information, such as your name, but this is not a requirement. Extra sub-accounts created using a premium subscription are not required to provide an email address.
- Public Profile Information: If you have an account with us, we collect the information you provide for your public profile. For example, your username is part of that public profile, as are links to any timelines you may have published to the Website.
- Transactional and Billing Information: If you purchase one of our premium account subscriptions, we collect extra data required to process the transaction such as credit card information, billing address and your name.
- Content Information: You may provide us with content about you in draft or published content. For example, if you create a timeline that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information as will anyone with access to the internet if you choose to publish your timeline publicly.
- Credentials: When signing up for an account, you may be required to provide us with credentials such as a password to sign in again in the future.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we also collect information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP adresses, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. We collect log information when you use our services, either as a visitor or as an account holder.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Website such as page views and actions taken on the site such as signing in, editing a resource such as a timeline etc. We use this information to get a sense of how people use the Website and to identify content on the Website that is popular.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to understand, for example, how many people visit our Website from a particular geographic location.
- Stored Information: We may access information stored on your device, for example when you upload an image to our Website.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or sign in to your Timetoast account through another service (like Facebook) we will receive information from that service (such as your username, email and basic profile information) via the authorization procedures used by that sevice. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
03 / How and Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information collected about you above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our services—for example, creating and maintaining your account or charging you for our paid services.
- To further develop and improve our services—for example by adding new features we think may be useful to our users or help them create timelines more efficiently.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our services.
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition—for example, we may analyze how many people purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features most used by those who continue to use our services after a certain length of time.
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our services, protect the security of our services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Timetoast and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our services.
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by Timetoast, to solicit feedback or keep you up to date on Timetoast and our products.
- To personalize your experience using our services, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example those on a particular plan), and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account—for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information—for example, to provide and update our services, to improve our services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given us your consent—for example, before we place certain cookies on your device and access and analyze them later on.
04 / Sharing Information
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users' private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services. For instance, payment providers, email delivery services, customer chat and email support services that help us stay in touch with you, and those that help us enhance our services, such as analytics providers.
- Legal Request: We may disclose information about you if we are required to respond to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Timetoast, Daniel Todd Ltd., third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share or disclose information about you with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as social media services that your published timelines are shared to.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-indentified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggreate statistics about the use of our Website and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate or analyze the use of our services using a third party Service.
- Published Support Requests: If you send us a request, for example via a support email, we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is disclosed publicly.
This means that information like your public profile, timelines, comments or other content uploaded to our Website such as images, are all available to others.
For instance, if you leave a comment on a published timeline, the comment and your username will be displayed below it and will be publicly available.
Publicly available information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
05 / How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it—which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information—and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
06 / Security
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
07 / Choices
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our services—for example, paid-for premium features—may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt-out of receiving promotional messages. Just follow the instructions in those messages. We may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Timetoast does not respond to "do not track" signals across our services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using our Website or services. The drawback is that certain features may not work properly without cookies.
- Close your account: You are free to close your account at any time. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above—for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
08 / Your Rights
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
09 / Controllers and Responsible Companies
Timetoast's Controller for processing personal information is:
Daniel Todd Ltd.
59 Bulstrode Way
Gerrards Cross, SL9 7QT
10 / How to Reach Us
11 / Other Things You Should Know
Because Timetoast's services are worldwide, by accessing or using the services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
Ads and Analytics services Provided by Others
13 / Change log
- August 12th, 2018: Updates Controller address.
- May 24th, 2018: Revises and reorganizes language throughout to help simplify the policy and clarify our practices.
- July 15th, 2009: Adds information about usage of third party advertising networks to serve ads.