Lisbon Portugal (M9)This earthquake was a magnitude of 9. Its death toll was estimated at about 20,000 people. The earthquake produced a fire which killed a majority of the people. The tsunami this created had heights of 7 meters and over in some areas of the West Indies. Interesting facts:
1. On All Saints Day three tremors were felt before the earthquake began within 10 minutes.
2. The shaking was felt as far away as Morocco.
Krakatoa Volcanic ExplosionThe explosion caused the top of the volcano to fall into the ocean which created a tsunami. The tsunami was more than 35 meters high and destroyed 165 villages and more than 36,000 people. Interesting facts:
1. The eruption caused the global climate to drop all over the world.
2. The ash clouds from the eruption were up to 6 miles high.
Aleutians earthquake in Alaska (M8.1)This earthquake measuring in at a magnitude of 8.1 created a tsunami in the Hawaiian Islands that killed about 160 people. Interesting facts:
1. The waves estimated to be 115 feet in Alaska and 30 in Hawaii.
2. The tsunami struck within 5 hours of the earthquake with no warning.
Chile Earthquake (M9.5)This earthquake in Chile created a tsunami that killed 61 people in Hawaii after traveling across the pacific ocean. Interesting facts:
1. This was the most powerful earthquake in history with a magnitude of 9.5.
2. The event was named after the city most affected by the quake, Valdivia.
Alaska Earthquake (M9.2)This earthquake originated in Alaska and created a tsunami that killed 130 people in Alaska and California. Interesting facts:
1. This was the second most powerful earthquake ever recorded, coming in at a M of 9.2.
2. Anchorage in Alaska suffered many landslides destroying city blocks and neighborhoods.
Earthquake in Sea of Japan (M7.8)This earthquake originated in the Sea of Japan and created a tsunami that killed 120 people on Okushiri Island in Japan. Interesting facts:
1. Some parts of the tsunami measured in at 15 to 30 meters.
2. There are still missing persons from this disaster.
Papua New Guinea Earthquake (M7.1)This earthquake in Papua New Guinea produced a submarine landslide that created a tsunami which killed around 2100 people. Interesting facts:
1. This tsunami displaced more than 10,000 people.
2. The tsunami was up to 15 meters high in some area.
Sumatra Earthquake (M9.1)This earthquake created a tsunami that killed around 230,000 people. Interesting facts:
1. This earthquake ruptured a 900 mile stretch of fault line where the Indian and Australian plates meet.
2. The quake caused the ocean floor to rise almost 40 meters making waves almost 100 feet tall.
Samoa Earthquake (M8.1)This earthquake generated a tsunami that killed around 200 people. Interesting facts:
1. The tsunami got up to 22 meters in some sections.
2. The total cost for damage done was 200 million dollars.
Chile Earthquake (8.8)This earthquake in Chile generated a tsunami that killed about 700 people in coastal towns. Interesting facts:
1. The earthquake itself lasted up to 30 seconds.
2. This was the 5th strongest earthquake ever recorded with aftershocks as high as 6.9.
Japan Earthquake (M9.1)This earthquake in Japan generated a massive tsunami that killed over 20,000 people. Interesting facts:
1.The effects from this quake were felt around the world from Norways fjords to Antarctica's ice sheet.
2. Tsunami debris from this event have continued to wash up on North American shores for years after it occurred.